Working on writing with Storyjumper
Working on writing with Storyjumper
Using Storyjumpler to Encourage Creativity and
Collaboration in the Classroom
This week we had to work on writing skills so, I decided to use Storyjumper, an engaging comic creation tool, to help my students develop both their creative and English language skills. We tried to use Pixton but we were told to pay to use it and we found no way to access the free trial, as explained in the course.
The task was part of the unit and, instead of doing the typical activity I do in class, I decided to use this tool to reinforce language structures and encourage imagination. Here’s how I organized the activity and reflected on its impact. This activity has been done with a group of students in 1º ESO.
How did you organize the groups?
I divided the class into small groups of three
to four students. This allowed for collaboration while ensuring that everyone
had a chance to participate actively. I made sure the groups were diverse in
terms of language proficiency, so students with some difficulties could be assisted
by those with higher level, fostering peer learning.
What was the sequence of tasks that you
followed to get to the final product?
We used the laptops available in the school to
carry this project out. The project followed a clear, step-by-step approach:
- Introduction
to storyjumper: I
began by introducing the app to the class, explaining how to use the tool
to create characters, backgrounds, and dialogues.
- Planning: In groups, students
brainstormed ideas for a short story or comic strip related to the topic
we are dealing with. They had to include the vocabulary and the
grammatical structures we have studied in the previous lessons. They
planned their storylines and designed characters using this tool.
- Creation: Students used storyjumper to create
their comics, focusing on dialogue, character interaction, and visual
elements. Pixton seemed more attractive for them, but we were not able to use it. I encouraged them to use the modal verbs and the vocabulary
studied in the unit as part of their story. Also, I told them that their
marks would be better if they used any of the other grammatical structures
studied this year.
- Editing
& Review:
After creating their comics, students reviewed and edited their work,
ensuring correct grammar and coherence.
- Final
Presentation:
Each group presented their comic to the class, explaining the plot.
What were the specific learning objectives for
this activity? How did the use of the tool help the learners achieve these
objectives? Be specific and give concrete examples.
The primary learning objectives were:
- To
practice using the modal verbs and review the tenses studied in previous
units.
- To
work on the vocabulary studied.
- To
enhance creativity and storytelling skills in English.
- To
encourage teamwork and collaboration.
Using storyjumper helped students visualize their
stories and brought the language to life. For example, one group created a
comic about a time-traveling adventure, using the future tense to describe what
would happen to the characters. Another group used modal verbs to explain the
rules of the ideal school they designed.
In what ways (be specific) was creativity and
the use of imagination encouraged in your students?
Creativity was at the forefront of this
activity. Students’ aim was to create unique plots, design characters, and use
their imagination to solve problems within their stories. One group created a
mystery where the characters had to solve riddles to escape. The freedom to
choose themes, settings, and characters made the activity both fun and
thought-provoking, encouraging students to think outside the box.
What did your students enjoy most / least about
this activity?
Students loved using laptops and the chance to
use a tool like Pixton, which they found fun and easy to use, instead of
writing again on paper. They enjoyed seeing their ideas come to life in a
visual format and working together as a team.
What would you change next time?
Next time, I would also provide more structured guidance on how to incorporate specific language features into the comics and I would allow more time for the planning and brainstorming stage. I will also try to look for another free web or app they can use, one that is more attractive and more possibilities that storyjumper.
How were the finished projects shared with the
rest of the class?
Once the comics were completed, each group
presented their work, explaining the storyline and demonstrating the use of
language structures.
What opportunities were there for students to
co-evaluate and discuss the learning experience with each other?
I encouraged peer feedback, where students
highlighted what they liked about their classmates’ comics and suggested ways
to improve.
Example of one of my students' work.
Comentarios
Publicar un comentario